Friday, February 3, 2012

The KFC Famous Bowl (Patterns of Development 3 - Definition)

I’ve had a hard day. Both of my parents just passed away in a tragic rhino accident, the lower half of my body has just been lost in a horrifying encounter with a paper shredder and they officially cancelled “Community” on NBC. What I need… is a pick me up. What I need… is a Kentucky Fried Chicken® “Famous Bowl”.


I remember my first famous bowl like it was yesterday (it wasn’t). I had just suffered an extraneous kick and yelling session at Tae Kwon Doe, and I was clearly completely drained both physically and emotionally. My agony must have been clear to my father, because when he picked me up, he decided to do something that would change my life.


We pulled up into the KFC drive-thru, and I was at awe with the poorly illuminated display laid before me. At first, I feared I may become lost in this world of seemingly endless fried chickens and might not be able to make a decision, but suddenly something caught my eye. The Famous Bowl.


Although I had planned to eat it at home, the aroma was overwhelming, and I succumbed to it’s deliciousness. What I tasted next was the most the most fantastic thing my tongue and I had ever been a part of (and yes, I thought of that and I stand by the sentiment).


Encapsulated in this little plastic sealed bowl is the most fabulous concoction ever known to man. First, savory, buttery, mashedy mashed potatoes are slopped onto the bottom of the bowl. Next, the fun begins. On top of these potatoes, in what I can only assume is a highly revered, perhaps even religious process, steaming, deliciously flavorful  brown chicken gravy is drizzled upon the potatoes with expert care. As the gravy is distributed in generous helpings, simultaneously, the popcorn chicken is artfully tossed about the forming man-sundae. Piping hot chicken breast, deep-fried to perfection and then rolled playfully about in an assemblage of the world’s finest salts, spices and breading before taking another lucky trip to the fryer. The colonel’s recipe at work. When it seems this meal possibly attain a higher level of succelentity, the unthinkable is done. Shredded cheese is sprinkled thoughtfully upon the melting-pot of culinary diversity, and the accumulated heat melds the cheddar goodness all upon the chicken, potato and gravy. Each spoonful is a spiritual experience. This… is food.


This… is the Famous Bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment